After surgery, 16 weeks of chemo, 25 frames of radiation we thought we were clear of her stage 4 stomach cancer as of mid February.
During a routine follow-up CT scan late February, the radiation oncologist mentioned there were fluids in her abdomen, but it was a common side effect to receiving radiation to the stomach. We wanted to "be sure" so we insisted on a drain and cytology for peace of mind. The cytology came back positive for malignancy, and it dramatically changed the landscape.
We were told the cancer had spread to the entirety of the abdomen walls and that it was a bad, bad development. Her regular oncologist suggested there was not much to do other than more chemo to slow the spread, but also referred us to a surgical oncologist.
We talked with the surgical oncologist and he started looking into CRS+HIPEC, which is dramatic surgery in which her abdomen walls, uterus, overies, spleen, portions of colon and intestine, and anything else non life essential would be removed, and she would received hot chemo on the operating table during the procedure. We were quoted a 10% chance of getting 5 years from this, 30-40% to get 2 years, and 50% of it making no difference.
We pursued this, setting up appointments with Dr Bartlett in Pittsburgh and Dr Sardi in Baltimore. Prior to heading there (we are in Milwaukee), we did as much of the pre-op work-up here locally. During the pre-op PET, metastasis to her spine was discovered, and we were told surgery was now off the table.
There are no more options. She is going to die very soon. She is in constant pain. We have to go in to the hospital once a week to get her abdomen drained for comfort reasons. Likewise with palliative radiation to her spine to alleviate the pain there. The pain meds make her nauseated.
She goes to dark places constantly. This was a strong, incredible woman. I'm so angry that our life was taken away. And there is nothing more I can do but watch her die. I don't know what to do anymore. I have to be strong and positive in front of her, but I'm getting so tired. When she goes, I want to follow her.
Fiancée to Qing (Lynda) Chen - Dx Stage IV Stomach Cancer 6/2010 - Surgery 6/2010 - Chemo 7/2010 to 10/2010 - Radiation 12/2010 to 1/2011 - Dx Peritoneal Carcinomatosis & Spinal Mets 3/2011 - Entered Home Hospice 4/5/2011 - Passed Away 4/9/2011